Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What's Up With Google Site Maps?

Google just doesn't like me. It does not matter what I do with www.BiographyPlus.com, Google just does not seem to want to Index further than the second level of the site and only a few select third level pages. There is no rhyme or reason for what pages it indexes. The reasoning is all computer generated through their algorythm, but it is a machine and not a human. My pages on BiographyPlus.com and www.PopStarsplus.com are set up the same way, but the Pop Stars site is fully indexed, although I do not know why it takes anywhere from 1 to 6 days sometimes to cache.

How to Make a Google Sitemap


Anyway, I went back to my Google Sitemap and re-created a new map. I used NeuroticWeb (http://www.neuroticweb.com/recursos/sitemap/) to create the new map. For those of you that have not done this before, you need to Go to Google and Set up an account. Once you do that, verify your website (the instructions are on Google). Use the Sitemap generator on Google or use a free service such as NeuroticWeb above. Once you ahve the text, copy it to your notepad and save the file in UTF-8. Add it to your website as a file named sitemap.xml and then go back to Google and tell it that you are ready to be mapped. Google will then look at your site and sitemap file and tell you if it is good or not. This could be a pain and require you to continously "parse" (find and correct errors) the file. Once it accepts the file you wait. Unfortunately for me, I wait and wait and wait to no avail. Google still only indexes about 150 page out of over 800 (it leaves out most of the pages with the content). I am also working on changing the site, but if it is not indexed, what's the use?

Till next time, Ian Ripley

No comments: